The summer months can be uncomfortable – even dangerous – for pets and people, but we can help you keep your pets cool this summer. You just have to follow these tips for helping your dog to stay healthy and comfortable when the heat is on.
- Take walks during the cooler hours of the day and adjust intensity and duration of exercise in accordance with the temperature.
- Limit exercise on hot days and be especially careful with pets with white-colored ears, which are more susceptible to skin cancer, and short-nosed pets, which typically have difficulty breathing.
Along summer many of us are excited to bring our dogs to the beach! Whether your favorite beach is around east or west coast or by a lake, read on these tips before taking your dog to the beach.
- Be sure you choose a dog-friendly beach spot.
- Teach your dog to swim.
- Look for fresh water and shade.
- Try to find a calm water area far from long waves, boats, boards, or jet skis that could scare your dog.