Shopping with your dog is becoming increasingly popular as it can be a fun experience for all involved. It’s not just a thing that happens in big metropolitan cities, like Manhattan, with small pups that fit a purse. You can even take your dog shopping with you in some New Jersey’s malls.
However, going shopping with your dog is a still a privilege, not a right. Therefore, we and our pets should follow some etiquette rules.
Only well-mannered dogs should be accompanying you out as a shopping companion. Consider your dog’s behavior, health and personality before taking them out to accompany you for even the shortest of shopping excursions.
If your pet is not polite towards people yet, wait until your dog knows the basics of being a good canine citizen.
Because shopping can be stressful, we would like to share with you some tips for shopping with your dog:
- Always leash your four-legged friends, no matter their size.
- Take your dog for a walk prior to shopping so he/she doesn’t have a need for a bathroom break in or near the store.
- Be sure to watch for signs that your dog needs a break.
- Keep your dog close so he/she is not in the path of other shoppers.
- Unless invited, dogs should not socialize with other shoppers, employees or other dogs.
- Always bring poop bags and paper towels.
- Bring water, a water bowl and appropriate snacks.
- Reward your dog for appropriate behavior while shopping.
- Be prepared to leave if your dog stresses or causes a disturbance.
You would also like to read these articles:
- A short guide to shopping with your dog
- Pet friendly shopping malls in New Jersey
- 19 Dog-Friendly Stores Where You Can Shop With Your Pup